Sunday, January 29, 2006

Something I Need to Work On

I'm feeling pretty good about how I've adapted to the WW plan at this point. Those hunger pangs from the first week have gone away, and that's always the hardest adjustment. I'm paying a lot more attention to what I'm eating and I am taking the time to really plan my meals ahead of time. I've even learned a new trick this time around - the whole pre-eating before going out by keeping a few spare Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones in the freezer at work. I never did that the previous times I was on WW, but I'm also a lot busier now with more night-time commitments than I ever had before.

But, there is one area where I need to do a better job of sticking to the plan. WW wants you to make sure you're still getting balanced nutrition, even as you're eating a lot less. They have strong suggestions on what you need to make sure you're getting every day - and the online Points Tracker even has little icons for each of these that you're supposed to tick off as you're eating meals throughout the day.

According to WW, you need 3 servings of dairy, 6 servings of water, and 6 servings of fruits/veggies every single day. I'm pretty good about the water, but I do need to work on making sure that I get in my dairy and fruit/veggies on a daily basis. I'm finding that I do still consume protein and starch pretty darn regularly, so I have to find ways to work more balance into the diet.

Most days, I do start out with a breakfast of non-fat yogurt, but I need to figure out how to keep getting 2 more servings of dairy every day. Even though it adds points, it's good to get a slice of cheese on a sandwich or to sprinkle some atop whatever salad or soup you're eating. Fat-free or reduced-fat shredded cheese is a good staple to keep in the fridge - I need to be better about tossing some into my egg beaters or in other meals. I'm not a regular milk drinker and I HATE cottage cheese, so I've just got to keep trying new low-point ways to use cheese in my diet.

And the fruits and veggies? Well, that seems to be a challenge for a lot of people I know, who tend to have a lot of meals out and aren't home cooking all the time. Thank goodness for Au Bon Pain soups and salads and for those Green Giant frozen veggies. I just have to force myself to eat more of the good stuff every day.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Hmm. How would WW feel about a glass of milk with a cup of protein powder in it? I'm a vegetarian, so I have to make sure I'm getting protein. Every a.m. I have that glass of milk with protein powder. In fact, like an AMEX, I don't leave home without it.

If this appeals to you, try "Designer Protein" at GNC. Any of the flavors are good - I like French Vanilla and Strawberry. Yummers. French Vanilla tastes like Yellow Cake Mix. oh...so yum.

Stef said...

Well, WW says that 1 scoop of Genisoy Protein Powder = 2 points. 1 scoop of the All Natural Genisoy powder = 1 point. So that's what WW thinks about it.

I don't keep milk in my apt very often, though, cuz I don't really drink it a lot and I hate for it to go bad. Sometimes I get on a cereal kick, and I'm actually feeling like I might buy some Cheerios and milk tonight. But my usual favorite beverage at home is Crystal Light -- I suppose I could step it up a bit to drink a small glass of milk a little more often.

Lady Brandenburg said...

I admit I don't pay much attention to this at all - when I first went on WW and this, my sequel. I just figure you know, if you're losing weight and feeling good, you can improvise.

I also feel like your body tells you what you need - I crave protein when I've not had enough, I crave vegetables when I've not had enough iron, etc.

I do kick booty on the water thing - I drink at least 2 liters a day, usualy more. Although, I run to the bathroom a million times a day, which is a little embarrassing. :)

Emily said...

Have you tried long life milk? It comes in a box and doesn't need to be refrigerated until you open it, so you can keep it on hand for milk emergencies. You can find it next to the soy milk or evaporated milk.
Also, have you tried Kefir? It's like drinkable yogurt with extra probiotics.