Saturday, January 07, 2006

Grocery Day

I know that one of the challenges I face sometimes involves groceries. Since I moved into the city and sold my car, my grocery-buying habit has changed. I walk to the store now and that means I have to only buy the amount of stuff I can carry (I have one of those grandma carts but it has a bum wheel, so I only use it for laundry in the building). So I usually get about 4 bags worth of stuff, and that runs out pretty quickly. And, with my irregular schedule, I haven't always made it a priority to go to the grocery store regularly every week. Part of the problem is that I live in a big apt building that has a convenience store in it. So, the trend has been that when I've been low on groceries but haven't had the time or inclination to head out, I just go to the basement. Of course, as a mini-mart it doesn't have the greatest stuff. I can stock up on frozen pizzas, chips and salsa, ice cream, and yogurt down there, but not good dieting groceries.

So, part of my new commitment is a resolution to try to make it to the grocery store every week. That will help me keep buying good things and can help me make sure I always have a good variety of healthy things from which to choose here at home. It's a lifestyle change, right?

Today was grocery day. It's a beautiful day out here in DC, and since I also had to go to the post office I made it a day for errands in the neighborhood. I had the fun of walking around with my new iPod, too.... want to know the exact walking distance from the Kalorama post office to the Columbia Road Safeway? It's equal to 2 full plays of the Scissor Sisters' "Take Your Mama." Wow, that put a smile on my face!

Safeway had some really good pro-dieting sales on today, so I loaded up:
  • Lucerne non-fat yogurt - 5 for $2.25
  • Jello Fat-Free Pudding cups - $2.50 for a six-pack, reg price $3.49 (Velvet, here's your chance!)
  • Egg Beaters - $2.50, reg price $3.19
  • Safeway brand Spanish rice mix - 80 cents (I'll tell you my Spanish rice trick later)
  • Orville Redenbacher 94% fat-free Microwave Popcorn - Buy One Get One Free!!!
  • Plus, Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine were on sale and majorly picked over!
So now I'm all ready for a good week of healthy eating!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That sale was supposed to end on Tuesday. I had stocked up, but for some stupid reason, the Soviet Safeway over here didn't put the Devils Food on sale. Just the other flavors. I guess I could have branched out, but I'm a creature of habit!

Hey, I get these emails from you when I comment about how I'm in your spam folder or something. What should I do about that? Obv, you see my comments. I'm guessing it's the part where comments get emailed to you that they don't go through. hmm..

Stef said...

Actually, my Safeway didn't even have Devils Food in the fat-free. They only had choc/van swirls and plain chocolate. They seem to really stock a lot of the jello sugar-free gelatin for all those South Beach people, and there's a lot less of the good pudding. I stick with my swirls, but I hope you find some good deals on the devils food!

And check your email, I think I've fixed the spam-response issue.

ScottE. said...

now I want pudding.

ScottE. said...

BTW: If you haven't already, download Filthy/Gorgeous by the Sisters....that'll get you to safeway!

Stef said...

Scotte: Hooray! I was gonna ask you about other SS songs. I know you're a big fan!

ScottE. said...

I'd highly recommend the whole SS cd...but if not...Comfortably Numb is incredible.

I just returned from Shoppers Food Warehouse...they had pudding cups, 5 packs of 4, for $5. I think it's hunts brand. I got two, banana creme pie and triple chocolate/devils something or another....but to balance our the goodies, I had to get ritz crackers and squeeze cheese....I hadn't had lunch and my stomach was screaming at me...I couldn't help it.