Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Dining Out

Today at lunch I'm about to face the first challenge -- dining out while dieting. Or, DOWD. (I wonder what Maureen would think of that?!?)

I am a very social person, as you all know, and much of my social life revolves around meeting friends for a meal. So I need to pay special attention to what I do at restaurants. I tend to think the easiest way to dine out while dieting is to stick with the s's: sushi, soup, salad. There are lots of great ways to make a meal involving those items, and most restaurants have great varieties to choose from. If none of the s's are an option, well then it's time to make some smart decisions. And as Lady B mentioned, it's always good to plan ahead and check points before you go eat.

There's a great resource online called Dotti's Weight Loss Zone. It's the website of a woman who's lost a lot of weight and shares her tips with everyone. The real prize of Dotti's site is the restaurant guide, which includes nutritional information and calculated points for menu items at almost all of the major national and regional chains. This site becomes biblical in importance while dieting.

For today, I'm going with a known quantity. My friend and I are meeting at Teaism, and I already know that tuna bento box is pretty darn low-point. So that's my strategy. And for lunchtime in general, I plan to stick to the safest places around my office - Teaism, Au Bon Pain, Cosi. If I find myself at danger-zone places like Austin Grill or Gordon Biersch (which I know I will), I just have to remember the s's.

Do you all have any tips for making good choices while dining out?

3 comments:

Emily said...

I think a good strategy when eating out is to split an entree with another person. I hardly ever do this though...

Lady Brandenburg said...

LOVE Dottie's Weight Loss Zone. Love it love it. Although for the places right around my office here - Cosi, Panera, Subway and Corner Bakery, I still go on their websites and figure out the points (just in case Dottie hasn't updated her entry on that restaurant lately).

Lucky you to have Teaism near you! I love anything tuna and sushi but there are not good places walking distance of work (unless someone knows of one in Friendship Heights!? Besides the place above Panera - too expensive).

Cosi - the Signature Salad and the hummus sandwich are both 10 points. If you find anything else there, let me know - I think 10 points is a lot to "spend" at lunch, but there is not a whole lot of choice there.

Corner Bakery - as I said, no chopped salad - 16 freakin' points! I know their chili is a better choice, and of course their tomato soup.

At Panera I get the veggie soup and a half a turkey sandwich on whole grain. I think it's 8 points.

What do you get at Au Bon Pain? Because we use them for catering our teacher workshops and I never know what to get. I like their tuna salad but I should steer clear of mayo.

Melissa said...

Fish, salad, shrimp cocktail. You can't go wrong with those. But you have to get protein or you will be starving by 3. Just eating a salad is a bad idea. Usually restaurants will make special accommodations, you can ask for something grilled and they will do it.

And if you cheat a little, better to do it at lunch than dinner.