Friday, January 06, 2006

The Office is the Devil

I'm still pumped from avoiding all the tempting food during yesterday's staff meeting, but lo and behold.... there's now a big plate of cookies AND a bag of mini-Snickers bars sitting on top of the file cabinet, which is our usual place for communal treats. Who brought those in?!? I'm determined to be strong and avoid them, but of course they're right at eye level and I walk past them every time I used the front door to our office. Looks like I've got to switch to the back door for today.

So I'm not going to be having the major activity/exercise that I talked about last night. It's just too damn cold and gray outside. I was thinking about leaving work early today to walk home (3 miles, uphill!) but I'll save that for another day.

There will be a challenge this afternoon - my friend's N baby shower. I've scoped it out with my friend who's planning it, and I know there will be cake and various treats. I wanted to make sure I knew the deal before I go out to lunch, so now I know to definitely just get a salad or soup so I can be prepared to have at least a little treat at the shower. And I have a salad at home for dinner tonight, so I can make this one work. Like I said yesterday, I'm okay with using some Flex Points. The beauty of WW is that it does allow for things like friend's baby showers without making you feel like you're a terrible failure. And this, my friends, is why WW is my favorite diet. Cuz they know that every once in a while, you need a piece of cake. :-)

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm going to tell you the Velvet chocolate avoidance secret: Fat Free Jello Pudding cups in Devil's Food. At a grocery store near you. 100 calories each. One or two of those puppies and you're over the chocolate craving.

ScottE. said...

In solidarity, I'm with you. I've not replenished the chocolate/candy dish that I put out for people stopping by. And I had half a sandwich and soup for lunch.

I walked half of one block back to work, turned around, walked 10 steps to get a cookie at Potbelly's and turned around and continued back to the office. I really wanted the soft, chewy oatmeal with choco-chips, but didn't! Agony.

Question on WW: How are points determined? Can I put a recipe in some magik form and it will tell me? I'm making something tonight which is basically some beef tips and green beans...seems like it might be WW friendly???

Stef said...

Points are calculated as a combination of calories, fat content, and fiber. A general rule of thumb for most foods is that 50 calories = 1 point. If it's something like cheese, really fatty, it's more. Or if it's something like oatmeal, that's really fiber-y, it's less. Vegetables are freebies, no points, except for something like an avocado that's really fatty. But remember that if you put something ON the vegetables (a sauce) you have to count the points for that.

So, someone like me, with 26 points daily allowance, tends to be eating about 1300 calories a day. Yikes! But, with Flex Points, you can adjust and use some extra on different days. Like I just did, with cake. Mmmmm.

Stef said...

Velvet - I love the choc/vanilla swirl Jello Fat Free pudding cups! That's what I often use for dessert.

Melissa said...

Good Stef. And you know, sometimes it takes two of them to get rid of the cravings for other stuff.

Mandy said...

Another good thing about being here...no snacking at work. Just bottles of water to drink. (It's good to stay hydrated and all that, but sometimes I think I'd sell my right arm for a chewy chocolate chip cookie these days. Not a good sign, with just under seven weeks left to go here. But maybe I'll be skinny when I get home. Hmm...)

Mandy said...

Saw this cool little gadget online, thought I'd put it out there for anyone who's interested!

To help keep track of all that weight you are losing, there are few bigger motivators than a scale, and few scales are as high-tech — and affordable — as the Tanita BC553 Body Composition Monitor, which has a list price of around $120. It not only tells you your weight but also body fat, body water percentage, bone mass, basal metabolic rate, metabolic age and muscle mass.