Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Biggest Loser

I am watching the special 2-hour family edition of The Biggest Loser. I had seen the first season of the show but missed this year's. I didn't know they were doing this family special, but I'm really enjoying it. As much as I can't stand Jillian the trainer, she made a good point. By having families on the show, you can really see how parents and kids, and how husbands and wives, enable each other in their bad habits. And, on the positive side, you can see how powerful the support of loved ones is.

Of couse, because it's reality tv, they picked two families with such emotional stories that you really have to root for them. In one family, the mother had just overcome cancer and they weren't even sure if she was still going to be alive for another year. In the other, they have a son who's off fighting in Iraq who they haven't seen for 2 years, and they want to surprise him by being skinny when he comes home.

At the final weigh-in (is it live?) after 5 months, the families just look fantastic. It's amazing to see how much more confident they all look, especially the teenage daughters. And both of the mothers look 10 years younger, their faces are so much leaner. Okay, here we go, I'm crying. Damn you, kitten-choking reality tv! The blue family lost a total of 144 pounds, or 23.34% of their total body weight. Wow! The red family won, with a total of something like 170 pounds. The red mother herself lost 78 pounds!

Next week, they'll be showing two engaged couples trying to win a dream wedding. I'll probably be tuning in!

3 comments:

GwenMarieDC said...

Funny - I had to turn that off. I started watching and was like oh I can get into this, but then realized that it was making me feel bad about my own weightloss. Maybe because I have more to lose and the fact that I'm afraid to push myself that hard physically. Plus I was packing for Hawaii and got frustrated because all of my summer clothes didn't look that different to me than they did in the summer, and I was hoping that post 30lb loss they would look a little nicer. OH WELL. I turned it back on at the very end and saw the weigh-ins. They did look fabu. Especially the red team mom - a completely different person. But then, I also started thinking, that they should be in sports bras still, because I wanted to know if they had a bunch of lose skin hanging around or if that got semi-toned during the work out. HAHA I was thinking about blogging about this today actually, but I will just leave a NOVEL of a comment for you to read instead. Smooches

Lady Brandenburg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lady Brandenburg said...

I love the Biggest Loser.

I watched last night too, and my husband - who didn't watch this season with me (I missed the first season) because he thought it was goofy - watched last night and was actually interested. At the end he said "The red mom looks...." and I said "Hot?" and he said, "Well, actually yeah" and I totally agreed.

Jillian can suck it. She's so manly.

We did get a little tired of them mentioning the cancer and the son in Iraq as many times as they did - we were like "we get it, it's sad, we get it!"

I can't believe red dad got down to 170 - that's what my brother weighed in high school! And what hubby weighs now! Red dad lost what, like 98 pounds? Incredible.