Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Why Does Good Stuff Cost So Much?

I had another Au Bon Pain lunch today. Soup, a small container of the Asian chicken salad, a container of pineapple, and a breadstick. Seriously, it rang up to more than $13. The cashier actually went "Wooo! I didn't expect it to cost so much!" The main culprit is the pineapple, which is something ridiculous like 4 bucks per container. For a variety of reasons, I am not a regular lunch-packer and have no desire to be so. I accept that I will be spending money for lunch most days. But, wow, this Au Bon Pain habit is pricey! Most of my lunch options do fall between 9 - 13 dollars on a normal day. Yikes! And it's especially annoying knowing that 2 giant slices of pizza would run me about 3 bucks. Looks like I need to work Subway into the routine a little more often....

4 comments:

ScottE. said...

I don't go there for a variety of reasons, but that is one of them, prices are much higher than they really should be!!!

We have a deli on the ground floor with an ok salad bar and can get fruit and what not...it's still a little pricey, but if you're watching what you're doing, you can get out of there without spending more than $5!

Lady Brandenburg said...

ABP is pricey. Do you have a Panera nearby? They have very healthy options. We have two Subways nearby - I get a little tired of it because I tend to get the same thing there - though they do have Sun Chips which is good. My regular is Booeymonger across the street - but even there I have to be very careful.

Asian Mistress said...

Ugh TELL ME ABOUT IT.

Tara said...

if you do sushi, try the sushi bar at SoHo. It's good, you get a cup of miso soup to go with it, and you can get out of there for $6, unlike the rest of SoHo where you can't get out for less than $10 (which is sometimes worth it if you have their yummy fresh mango!) seriously, the best thing I ever did was check out the nutritional information for all those sandwich places (ABP, Cosi, etc.) I never wanted to eat there again. much happier with a $1 can of soup I heat up in microwave!