Monday, May 15, 2006

Sticking Up for My Diet

This is a little NSV on its own.... I had lunch plans with a colleague at another organization to "pick her brain" on how to grow my program. Because I invited her, I initially said she could suggest the restaurant. She wanted to go to Fogo de Chao, a new place downtown. Well, it's all meat, all the time. Lots and lots and lots of meat. I've never been there, but I just have these visions of people licking their chops and gorging upon skewer after skewer. After much internal debate this morning, I decided to email her and ask if we could switch restaurants. I actually said that I'm trying to stick to a diet, and then offered up a few other places that would be good for seafood or salad. Turns out she's trying to watch what she eats, too, so she was more than happy to make the change.

We ended up going to Cafe Atlantico, which was a good move. I'd been there for happy hours many times but this was the first actual meal I had there. I studied the menu online beforehand - ALWAYS a great trick - and stuck with what I had in mind. I got their mixed greens salad special, which was a very standard mixed greens salad with a vinaigrette, baby tomatoes, and cubes of watermelon. Very light and refreshing! And then I ordered the tuna and coconut ceviche appetizer, which came somewhat unexpectedly all nestled in a 1/2 an avocado. But it was very tasty and also pretty light. And we split a giant (expensive) bottle of still water, so I'm very hydrated.

I just calculated the points, and based on my estimate it was only about a 9 point lunch. Hooray! So much less than a meat extravaganza would have been! I'm so glad I stood up for my dieting needs! :-)

1 comment:

Lady Brandenburg said...

Good for you!!!