Thursday, June 01, 2006

So far, so good

I've been doing a much better job of eating well so far on this trip to Indiana. Remember way back when I started this blog, I had just come back from a long Christmas trip to see the family. I *know* that I put on several pounds when I was here, and a lot of it was because I was subjected once again to my family's (well, really my father's) eating habits, which were probably what made me an overweight kid to start with. Dad serves meals on platters, not plates. I really felt gross after that Christmas trip - mentally and physically. My stomach was actually upset from having eaten so much, and so much that was bad for me. My parents are on a combination of Atkins (Dad) and South Beach (Mom), so there is very different kind of food here from what I'm used to eating. We're on that carbs vs. no carbs divide.

Well, this time, I emailed Mom the week before I got here and asked her to pick up some of my usual food at the grocery store so that I would have my own options. This was in the hopes that having my own choices would keep me from eating all the really high-fat stuff they have around the house. Guess what? So far, it's working!

A comparison from what I ate over Christmas to today:

Breakfast
Christmas: Two fried eggs cooked in butter, with 4 pieces of wheat toast with butter. 2 pieces for the yolk-dipping and 2 for making an egg sandwich. Deeeelishous but really a heart attack on a plate.
Today: A small Southwestern Egg Beaters omelet made with about 1/4 cup of shredded low-fat cheddar cheese.

Lunch:
Christmas: Some amount of leftover meat from the big dinner before - either several huge slices of ham and leftover scalloped potatoes or big chunks of pork roast and leftover homemade mac 'n cheese. Again, deelishous but another heart attack on a plate.
Today: A Lean Cuisine Chicken Club panini sandwich and a Jello Sugar Free Caramel pudding cup, plus a big glass of Coke Zero.

Now, I know dinner is going to be a big splurge, as Dad is doing steaks on the grill with salt potatoes (an Upstate NY favorite). But there will also be salads and I'll try to fill up on that.

It's amazing the difference it has made having Mom get me those groceries! She also got a few of my favorite lite salad kits for the weekend. Sure, I'm eating processed and prepackaged food instead of home cooking, but I don't feel like I'm going to explode! (In my book, always a good thing.)

No comments: