Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Tale of Two Soups

I'm in full-on fall food mode, which means it's time for lots of soup. I think I've mentioned before that I think soup is pretty much the perfect food and I love it in just about every variety possible.

This weekend, I've had soup for lunch 2 days in a row, sampling 2 different beef varieties from Progresso.

Yesterday: Traditional Beef Barley. This soup had a good beef & tomato base (the broth was leaning more towards the red side) with lots of barley and chunks of beef. One can = 2 servings. Each serving has 140 calories, 3.5 g of fat, and 2 g of fiber, for 3 points a serving and 6 points a can.

Today: Rich & Hearty Beef Pot Roast. I think I liked this one even better, as the broth was thicker and it was more like a stew. There were lots of chunks of beef, plus potatoes, carrots, beans, and pearl onions. Yummy. Reminds me of Au Bon Pain's really good stew, just the canned version. Here, each serving as 130 calories, 2 g of fat and 2 g of fiber, for 2 points a serving and 4 points a can.

On the surface, this all sounds pretty good. But the really troubling line on the nutrition info is the one that lists sodium content. Yesterday's soup, with the higher points, has 650 mg of sodium per serving, 27% of your RDA. Eating a full can then gives you 1300 mg of sodium and 54% of all the salt you should have in a whole day. Today's soup has a whopping 830 mg / 34% per serving, so that means that in just that little bowl of soup I had 1660 mg of sodium, 68% of what I should have all day.

Yikes!!!!! I need to start buying reduced sodium canned soup - or better yet, making my own!!!

No comments: